Gingivitis is an inflammation of the part of the gums adjacent to the tooth. A common cause of the process is plaque, which builds up in the mouth when brushing your teeth incorrectly or insufficiently. When plaque builds up a lot, it settles at the edges of the gums. Muscle tissue irritation occurs.
A pocket forms between the gum and the tooth, into which leftover food continues to fall. If the process does not stop the disease begins to progress. Soft tissue swells and sags, exposing a portion of the dental bone. If the gingivitis is not treated on time, the bone exfoliates from the soft tissues and the tooth falls out.
Such factors provoke the disease: taking medications, eating solid food, improperly installed fillings, problems with blood, heart, liver, gall bladder, malocclusion. The risk of gingivitis is increased in people with diabetes, rheumatism, as well as smokers and allergies.
Diagnosis of gingivitis in Kiev: symptoms, stages
Turning to the dentist once every six months you reduce the risk of gingivitis by 98%, and reduce the development of advanced stages to zero. When the slightest symptoms appear, it is better not to treat the disease at home, but to consult a specialist.
The Swiss-dent clinic diagnoses five stages of the disease, each of which requires professional intervention:
- Gingivitis in catarrhal form is characterized by detachment of soft tissues from the tooth by a couple of millimeters due to plaque. The process usually proceeds painlessly, but symptoms may be observed: swelling, bleeding, slight redness of the gums when brushing, chewing. At this stage, treatment is not difficult.
- When plaque hardens, gingivitis proceeds to the next stage – ulcerative. The patient feels itching, burning in the oral cavity, bleeding is observed, lymph nodes become inflamed, temperature rises.
- The advanced stage of ulcerative gingivitis becomes hypertrophic. Detachment of soft tissues from the tooth is observed, and the symptomatology is pronounced: the oral cavity turns purple, hurts, and tooth sensitivity increases.
- Atrophic gingivitis is the stage leading to periodontal disease. At this stage, the gingival tissue is thinning, and the dental roots are exposed. Increases the sensitivity of teeth to temperature extremes, as well as sweet, sour foods.
- With the desquamative stage of the disease, the patient has every chance of losing a tooth. The process becomes irreversible, and the mucous membrane is covered with crimson ulcers.
In the form of distribution, gingivitis is divided into partial and extensive. Diagnose the disease with a dental probe. The deeper it goes into the gum, resting against the edge of the tooth, the heavier the shape.
Swiss-dent treatment of gingivitis: effective methods
To stop the disease at the initial stage, our dentists resort to a simple but effective method – the elimination of plaque with the help of the ultrasound apparatus “Vector”. To consolidate the effect, vitamin C or calcium is prescribed.
A more advanced form of the disease has to be treated with antibiotics. Medicines are selected taking into account the individual tolerance of the patient. If necessary, local preparations are prescribed – ointments, antibacterial rinses.
Hypertrophic and atrophic gingivitis requires surgery. Gingivoplasty or hemming of soft tissues adjacent to the tooth in our dentistry is quick and painless.
Treatment of desquamative gingivitis is carried out taking into account the condition of the patient’s jaw. In addition to surgery and antibiotic therapy, we also carry out the correction of the dentition, if necessary.
Gingivitis in children: prevention and advice
In children, gingivitis proceeds in much the same way as in adults. The symptomatology is similar, the treatment methodology too, but there is one difference – the rate of transition of the disease from one form to another. If an adult takes this process for months, then a child develops in days due to an accelerated metabolism.
To prevent surgery, at the first symptoms, take your baby to the dentist. Better prevent the problem, because the price of negligence is expensive. A few useful tips will help you avoid disaster:
- Teach your child to brush his teeth from all sides
- Choose a soft toothbrush for him
- Children’s pastes are suitable for preschool kids. Then you can switch to herbal (without fluoride).
The best dentistry in Kiev: addresses, cost of treatment
Our clinic treats inflammatory processes of the gums with modern equipment. If you need to eliminate gingivitis of any form, you can contact us. The cost of services depends on
complexity of work, but we always strive to make the price affordable.
Look for us at:
- st. Zhilyanskaya, 47;
- st. Borispolskaya, 4;
- Brovary: st. Kievskaya, 245